Little treasures everywhere

I know, I know, everyone likes to talk about focusing on the positives and seeking the good. It becomes kind of trite after a while and I get that. That's only part of what I mean by little treasures. Yes, seeking the positives in life and finding the good stuff helps you keep a better attitude, but noticing the subtle moments that impact everything is more than just "finding the positive". It's really noticing what that subtle moment meant. Why is it "the good stuff"? 

Male Offspring and I started a workout routine about a year ago. Our goal is to attend to the gym 4-6 days a week before school/work. We are successful probably 80-85% of the time (which is pretty good in my opinion). The routine goes something like this: I get up about 5:15 AM, put my workout clothes on and make sure Male Offspring is up (he's usually not). Then I go into the living room, where Husband is usually already up and say good morning. I tend the vigil lamp, say my morning prayers and probably have to stir Male Offspring again. Then I put on my shoes, we go to the gym, workout and come home. Once I get home, I drink some water, make my smoothie, get my coffee and get dressed for work. Well, one day I came home and all the equipment I needed for making my smoothie and getting my coffee together (I add stuff like cinnamon, turmeric and ginger to it, so there are steps) were laid out neatly on the counter waiting for me. The measuring spoons, the measuring cup, the knife, the shot glass for my apple cider vinegar, a coffee cup, a travel mug, and my smoothie cup were all sitting there neatly waiting for me to use them. It was so easy to complete that part of my morning routine because everything was at my finger tips. You don't really think about how much time/energy you spend scooting around the kitchen finding the measuring spoons and stuff until you don't have to do it. I was so thankful and it became part of my routine. On mornings where Husband is unable to set out my equipment for me, I feel a little lost. Everything feels a little off on those days and it's not just the fact that I have to walk around the kitchen finding the things I need (our kitchen is not that big, so it doesn't take long). It's also the fact that the subtle little reminder that Husband was thinking of me and my well being/needs is missing. The little "I love you this much" isn't there on those mornings. I want to be very clear that the mornings he is unable to do that for me, are not, in any way, a reflection of him being angry or less loving towards me. It's usually that we all got up late, or that not all the dishes got done the night before and he was doing that in the morning (which is also an act of love) or sometimes it's that Female Offspring asked him to hang out with her in the morning before he headed to work. So I don't ever take it as a "dig" on me, but on those mornings that subtle little "I love you" is missing and I feel it. Even though I feel those moments, I'm pretty sure I don't actively acknowledge how much I feel the "I love you" on the mornings when he does have time to do that for me. It became part of my routine and sadly, I started to expect it rather than appreciate it. Something that happens to all of us all too often. 

I was reminded to pay attention to the subtle treasures on April 8 after the eclipse. We were not anywhere near totality but several people I know were and they took these amazing pictures. I was sad and disappointed in the experience that the Offspring and I had with the eclipse. I was feeling sorry for myself. I checked the kids out of school so we could watch it together. We drove to the house and set up our chairs in what I thought would be the ideal location to watch it. We had a pair of glasses and were all set. As soon as one of us put on the glasses we realized there was a problem. We couldn't see anything. It was pitch black. Our glasses were defective. So, I decided to just take some picture and see what the camera caught. As you would suspect my cell phone pictures didn't catch much and I was once again disappointed. I felt like I had missed out on this cool thing everyone else was getting to experience. I had failed to offer my kids a life long memory and all I had were these kind of cool looking pictures with funky light rays coming from the sun. I kept staring at the one I liked the best thinking "well, at least it's kind of a cool picture". Then I noticed something right above the sun. There were two little orbs. When I zoomed in on them I knew immediately that I had captured planets in this picture. Being who I am, I started researching what else was visible during the eclipse and discovered that I had captured a picture of the sun (during an eclipse even though you can't really tell), Venus and Jupiter. It was such a cool picture and just when I thought I had missed out, there was a little treasure.

In Orthodoxy there are lots of subtle, little treasures that you miss if you don't pay attention. (Hence the fact that we are called to attend regularly: "Let us attend".) One of the ones I personally treasure the most is "the bow". There is a tradition of lighting candles as you enter the church. Often people will light these in the back of the church or in a specific location at the entrance. However, it is also common to light them at the front of the church and place them in candle stands in front of the Iconostas. My Goddaughters and I do this most services. After I have lit a candle with the two older girls, I light three more candles on my own. We pray as we light each candle and then we offer each other a "kiss of peace". Once I have lit the three on my own, I turn to the rest of the congregation and I bow. It is a petition to the people for forgiveness and a recognition of the light of Christ in each of them. Members of the congregation bow in return and in that little moment we are all connected. There are, I think, three times during Divine Liturgy that the priest bows to the congregation asking forgiveness. Each of these moments is an acknowledgement of who we are together and the love that we feel for each other. It is a subtle moment that binds us with love and respect for each other in the light of Christ. It is a little treasure and these moments are everywhere. So, let us attend.


My morning prep station

The eclipse discovery photo


Comments

Popular Posts